I am not a great goal setter. I like the idea of them but I don’t usually speak them out loud and I don’t usually follow through so it makes total sense that that I going to set some right now:
- Prioritize time with friends/ say yes. There was a year when I worked at Emma when I decided that I was just going to say yes to every invitation I could reasonably do. The past couple years I have flipped that and prioritized being alone and that’s been good for me but this year’s goal is to do more not less.
- Keep a to do list/ journal. I did this for a chunk of last year and felt super on top of my life. I am going to try again. I am also interested in being able to look back and see what I did this year.
- Be a better ally. I want to show up more and do more. This includes more phone calls to congress and house members. Open to other suggestions.
- Really listen. To my friends, to my students, to my family. I’m going to put down my phone more.
- Eat like an adult. I like candy more than you. I can almost guarantee it. I did a good job of eating well for like two months last year but I need to start again with this school year.
- Figure out how money works. I’ve talked about this here before but I really have no idea how to budget or save or not just throw away money. I am seriously considering hiring a personal finance person to help me.
- Keep climbing 3-4 times a week. It makes me happy and stable. Maybe take up running again? Even the idea seems terrible.
- Date. I did a pretty good job this summer but if we’re being honest I need to really try if this is a thing I want in my life and I do. I want a partner and kids and all that. So here it is. I am going to try.
- School Goals:
- Talk less, listen more. (I just want to be Burr apparently) But really I want to make sure I am taking time to hear the kids and my colleagues.
- See more teaching. Get out of my classroom during my prep and see other people teach.
Alright, that’s it. Those are my goals. They are not small. I am putting an alert in my calendar for two months from now (October 7) to update you on how I’m doing. Also, do you have goals for this year? Wanna share?
2 thoughts on “New Year. New Goals? Same Goals? Goals.”
Good goals! My main one for me is to learn some work life boundaries. My 4th year in – I don’t want to burn out yet!
I’m having a *really* hard time coming up with my list of professional goals this year. And my goals meeting is on Friday… Though if I don’t have a lot of goals, that shouldn’t be a big deal.
In other thoughts, last year I added an extra layer to my to do lists (could NOT get by without them!) which was to write down the time I wanted to work on each particular task. So my list might look something like:
grade M3 problem set (Tues A block)
email Stu re: quiz retake (Mon)
It was really helpful in getting myself to focus on my priorities during each of my prep times without getting overwhelmed.